Should I Refinish or Replace My Countertops?
When it comes to countertops, everyone has a different preference on materials—from laminate to stone tile to quartz—depending on their personal style and amount of kitchen use. After many years of wear and tear from cooking or entertaining, you may be ready to improve your kitchen countertops (or even do an entire kitchen remodel). However, deciding whether you should simply refinish or replace your countertops completely can be a tricky decision. Thankfully, the resident experts at Mr. Cabinet Care are here to help you make the best decision for your kitchen.
Benefits of Refinishing Countertops
- Countless looks – There are several methods and materials for refinishing countertops, including re-laminate, epoxy, and polymer resin. Depending on your existing countertop material, there are plenty of options for refinishing to get the exact look you want. With hundreds of colors and patterns available, you can achieve a whole new look without the need to replace your countertops.
- Expedited speed – Compared to replacing countertops, refinishing takes much less time. While replacing can take up to several weeks (or more, if there are any delays), refinishing usually takes less than week—or even just a day or so in some cases.
- Low cost – The average homeowner can save between 30% and 70% by refinishing countertops instead of replacing them.
Benefits of Replacing Countertops
- Versatile choices – Unlike refinishing, replacing countertops allows you to choose from any material you want. Whereas refinishing limits you to freshening up or refining the style you already have, countertop replacement opens up the possibility of having a totally different aesthetic altogether. Whether you want something modern like sleek black granite counters or a classic country feel with lighter quartz, replacement allows you the freedom to experiment with something new.
- Extended durability – If you’ve just discovered an affinity for cooking or you’ve been a master chef for years, you probably want countertops that’ll stand the test of time. With new countertops, particularly those favored by culinary pros, you’ll be able to slice and dice without worrying about stains or chipping. Installing new countertops in your kitchen will not only give you the look you want, but it’ll also make you want to use your new counters even more.
- Investment value – Though you may not be thinking about this right now, the renovations that you put into your home now will have an effect on how it sells later. Kitchen renovations typically earn around a 70% return on investment when reselling. It may be cheaper to skip on countertop replacement now, but thinking about your potential buyers will earn you money in the future. High-end countertops—such as granite or quartz—are one of the main things buyers look for, so it’s worth the investment.
Countertop Installation in Southern California
If you decide to install new countertops in your home, Mr. Cabinet Care is here for all of your kitchen renovation needs in Orange County, San Diego, and the surrounding areas. Our kitchen remodeling experts will help you revitalize your kitchen and make a lasting impression on anyone who enters your home. To view our work and imagine how we can transform your kitchen, check out our extensive portfolio.
Get your free design consultation or in-home estimate by calling (714) 961-1900 or contacting us online today!