How to Hire the Best Kitchen Contractor
We’ve all heard the nightmares about contractors. Someone gives them a whole bunch of money upfront and they disappear. Or they start the project and never finish it. Or they do a shoddy job.
Given all those stories, it’s no wonder homeowners worry about how to hire the best kitchen contractor available. After all, how do you know who to trust? Where do you even go to find a reputable contractor? When you Google “kitchen contractors near me”, are you getting a true list of good companies nearby or just a lot of internet spam?
But don’t worry! Hiring a kitchen contractor doesn’t have to be torture! If you follow some basic steps and rules, your kitchen remodel can go off without a hitch.
Where do I look?
Before you head to your computer and look for “kitchen cabinets near me”, there are other things you can do to find trustworthy contractors.
- Referrals – Do you have a friend or family member that recently had their kitchen remodeled? Were they happy with the results? Do you think their kitchen remodel looks top-notch? Then ask for the name of the contractor. Word-of-mouth recommendations from satisfied customers is an ideal way to find a good company for your job.
- Ask for credentials – As you are interviewing candidates for your remodel job, it’s okay to request credentials, licenses, etc. An honest contractor will have all the required licenses from your state or local municipality. That company or person might also hold designations from professional organizations associated with their business, like the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. But if you’re going to their website to find these, make sure the designations are legit. It’s the internet and people can create anything to post on their pages!
- Interview more than one contractor – If you search for “kitchen contractors near me” and find ten of them within a reasonable proximity of your home, interview at least a few of them. Don’t limit yourself to what’s offered by only one kitchen remodeling company. Keep your options open and don’t say “yes” to the first one until you’ve spoken to others.
- Ask questions – Contractors will tell you about themselves and the projects they’ve done, but you should be ready with some specific questions of your own during the interview. In addition, make sure the interviewee is listening to you as you speak and that they answer your questions clearly. Communication is key during any home construction project.
- Ask for references – Just because a particular company’s name comes up first when you search “kitchen cabinets near me”, it doesn’t mean that they’re the best. They just have the best marketing campaign! So, you’ll want to ask for references from past clients and, if possible, you might even want to look at a job the company has recently completed. Be sure to ask the reference specific questions about timeline, communication, quality of work, work ethics, and more.
- Put it in writing – Anytime you’re having work done on your home, you should have a legitimate contract in place that outlines the work to be done, timeline, price, payment plan, and other particulars. There should also be a clause about dispute resolution as well as warranty information. If subcontractors are involved, be sure there’s a waiver of lien in case the contractor fails to pay them. Review the contract carefully and if you’ve determined all is on the up-and-up, sign it and proceed with the remodel.
Remember, when you head to the internet to look for “kitchen contractors near me” or “kitchen cabinets near me”, you’ll likely get pages and pages of results. But if you want to hire a company that you can trust from the start, one that’s received both local and national attention for its superb kitchen remodeling work, check out Mr. Cabinet Care.
At Mr. Cabinet Care, we strive to serve each customer to the best of our ability, working with them to craft their ideal kitchen. Our family-owned and operated business has forged a reputation as the best in the kitchen cabinet and remodeling industry, and we’re ready to make you our next satisfied customer. For more information on our products and services, visit us at www.mrcabinetcare.com.