8 Small Kitchen Remodel Ideas to Make Your Kitchen Feel Larger
Small kitchens can be challenging and frustrating. Maybe you feel like you never have enough space for storage. Perhaps you’re always tripping over your partner as you prepare meals together. Or maybe your small space looks dull and dark.
But don’t despair! There are options. While a small kitchen remodel can’t change the size of your kitchen, it can make it look bigger and brighter and feel more functional. And you won’t have to spend an arm and a leg making it happen.
Here we’ve listed 8 small kitchen remodel ideas for you to consider as you think about your options for renovating your space.
- Consider replacing your cabinet doors with glass or even open shelving. This literally opens up the room and makes it look like you have more space. The only caveat with glass doors and open shelving is you’ll have to keep things neat since your items will be constantly visible.
- Think about adding mirrors or mirrored surfaces. Similar to what happens with glass cabinet doors, mirrors reflect light and open up the space. It’s an optical illusion, of course, but it works! You can hang mirrors on the wall or even install a mirrored backsplash. If you have a small eat-in area, hang the mirror near the table. Mirrors are also great decorative pieces and are available in so many sizes and shapes.
- Experiment with paint colors to make your kitchen look larger. A small kitchen remodel should always include light or neutral colors that reflect sunlight, creating the look of a larger room. You should always keep the ceiling white, and if you’re cabinets are dark, very light walls are a smart choice. Also, use satin or eggshell paints instead of matte as they are better at reflecting light.
- Connect to the great outdoors if you’re lucky enough to have a kitchen that’s next to an outdoor space. Add some French doors for optimal light and fresh air, if possible. They’ll also extend the sightline to outdoors, making the room look larger. You’ll find they’re well worth the cost.
- Use geometric patterns for your backsplash, tile, or wallpaper. Geometric patterns add texture and depth to any room, which tricks the eye into thinking that the room is bigger than it actually is. Furthermore, geometric patterns are fun to use and really do add an interesting element to your room.
- Consider horizontal stripes for your walls. Remember how we look bigger and wider when we wear these stripes? Well, the same illusion happens when you apply horizontal stripes to walls. Paint them on the wall or use striped wallpaper. You could also use a striped floor or carpeting, as an alternative.
- The goal in lighting a small room is to get rid of shadows, which make a space feel small or cramped. If you add accent lights to shelving or underneath the cabinets, you’ll be able to do away with those shadows. Plus, this extra lighting will improve functionality as you’ll be able to see better when preparing meals.
- Think carefully about your storage space. Most owners of small kitchens complain about lack of storage. So begin by decluttering and continue by determining how you might best increase that space. It might involve putting a lazy Susan in a corner cabinet or adding some slide-outs to accommodate certain must-have items.
Do it yourself?
When you own a small kitchen, there’s a tendency to want to do-it-yourself when it comes to remodeling. After all, how hard can it be? It’s such a little space.
Well, in reality, it can be pretty challenging to work in a small kitchen. Instead, you should really consider hiring a contractor or kitchen remodeling company. Search “kitchen remodel near me” and you’ll likely find a host of companies that can help you, like Mr. Cabinet Care. The experts at Mr. Cabinet Care know all about making small kitchens look big and can help you keep your budget in check and interruptions to a minimum.
If you’ve Googled “kitchen remodel near me”, you’ll find that Mr. Cabinet Care is head-and-shoulders above the rest. Not only do we have more than 30 years’ experience working on kitchens of all sizes but we offer top-notch service from start to finish and the best warranty in the industry.
For more information on our products and services, visit us at www.mrcabinetcare.com.